Saturday 20 July 2019

Nicotine and brain tumour growth

Has the topic of nicotine (and other stimulants) been considered by the collective community?
My grade 2 astrocytoma was recently found to have advanced to grade 3(after 11years). Now IDH mutant, 1p / 19q not-codeleted, MGMT methylated. Both nicotine (via lozenges) and coffee are helpful in fighting fatigue and helping concentration.
Any thoughts? I am naturally concerned about taking anything that may hinder radiotherapy and chemotherapy (due to start at the beginning of August).
Thanks!

Stu

3 comments:

  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614999

    Not a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stu,

    I smoked and maintained nicotine in take during my radiation therapy.

    Thinking the withdrawal was too overbearing together with the radiation fatigue and chemo side effect.

    I wished i have known about this study

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22614999

    Then i would just endure the nicotine withdrawal during treatment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stu. I dropped both and have the same diagnosis as you. I have had awake brain surgery, followed by proton beam and tmz, followed by more TMZ. I have a bro science theory they do, but no scientific evidence. If you need any advice battling sides or making things work doing radiation/chemo please let me know.

    ReplyDelete