Sunday 20 March 2016

My wife has been on a ketogenic diet for some time now and I've been weighing the pros and cons of this.

Came across this excellent video, which is <24 minutes, from the "father" of the ketogenic diet as it relates to GBM. I thought it worthwhile to share:
https://vimeo.com/54866497


This is expanded on greatly via this podcast from his acolyte, Dominic D'agostino:
fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

Download it here to listen while commuting as it's like three hours. Both are worth the time to listen to, if only for background.

I'd like to hear if you are on a ketogenic diet and if it's helped you at all.

5 comments:

  1. I tried it in 2005 and lost a lot of weight but never achieved the low blood sugar levels necessary to starve out the tumor (grade 2 glioma). My primary care physician thought I was only going to live 2 years and probably thought I was suffering from cachexia. I was starving but my wife's blood sugar levels were about the same as mine (70s), so I gave up. I've heard of other people who've been unable to get their blood sugar low enough. I would say to try it out and see what happens on your blood sugar meter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, thanks - do you measure with an actual glucose monitor or just via the ketone urine strips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke to Seyfried back then and he said to measure blood glucose and not to use the keto sticks. Out of curiosity I tested out the keto sticks and found it was relatively easy to show ketones without having blood glucose low enough.

      Delete
  3. My son was on the keto diet as well and he was assisted by the nutritionist at Barrow neurologic institute. His blood sugar hardly moved at all and he was also on 2000 mg metformin daily and that did not move his blood sugar. The diet was difficult so in the absence of dropping glucose and really no change in ketones, he abandoned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, how is Jeremy is he having a scan this month?

    ReplyDelete