Thursday 7 December 2017

Rest sweetly, Starr Korvin

I realize I haven't posted in quite awhile, but I wanted to share that my dear friend Starr Korvin passed away early Tuesday morning.  Starr was diagnosed with GBM two months after my father Allen died, in September of 2016.  I consider you all my people when it comes to brain cancer and understanding the challenges and feelings that come with this diagnosis.  I wanted to share the brief obit I wrote for her with each of you.

Love to each of you.  May your loved ones reach heights further than mine did.  I mean that with complete sincerity.  xoxo Annie

My dear friend Starr Korvin has passed away. It's still sinking in that I'll never see her again  Starr was a great friend. She had more 'best friends' than anyone I've ever met. I can think of at least 5 girls, without trying, that would call her their best friend. I'm thinking of even more as I sit here. She has been in more weddings than most rom-com leads. Starr was a "Nordstrom All-Star". Which those in the know, know was a coveted title (and discount). She went back to school to work on her Masters in teaching while the rest of us went out to dinner and fucked around. She loved purses (one of our special bonds). She loved makeup. She had that edgy style that she and I both adored. She was funny and thoughtful. She would bring me a birthday gift every December, or even January, when I had already long forgotten about my birthday. She organized our group and kept our friend group connected with annual trips to the bear cabins and to celebrate our birthdays, even when we didn't ask - always when we didn't ask. She gave me a pair of boots we both had (and loved) because mine wore down on the heel and she remembered how much we both loved them. When my Dad was diagnosed with brain cancer she and Mary came to my house for hours with internet tamales (the best) and wine and sat with me while I crazily researched everything under the sun. That may not seem like much, but that was absolutely the WORST time of my life and their support (and stamina) was major. No one else would even pretend to understand any of that shit. 
It breaks my heart that she suffered the same fate with a glioblastoma diagnosis just 2 months after my father died of the same cancer.
I love you Starr Korvin. I hope there is a heaven, and that it's filled with puppies and babies and 'fuck yeah' purses and Benicio look-a-likes and real housewives and mint mochas and gold jewelry and lip injections. I miss you already ❤️

10 comments:

  1. Wow Annie, 2 people in your life diagnosed with a GBM isn’t fair. Starr sounds like she was a great friend.
    I hope you are traveling ok. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Annie. This paints a vivid picture of who she was as a personality. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    I lost a friend to GBM this April, and another friend is now dealing with a recurrent secondary GBM. I knew both of these friends before I started researching brain tumors. Feels like some kind of GBM anti-lottery. Al Musella had a similar experience, losing two family members to the disease. Thank you for sticking with us, and contributing to this community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen. Like you brain cancer will have a permanent place in my mind. I knew that about Al Musella too. I have so much respect for both of you for your dedication to brain cancer. At the brain cancer continuing ed course I attended last spring in Seattle someone in the audience asked Dr Cobbs and others how they became interested in brain cancer. Dr. Cobbs said he was in college when his mother was diagnosed with a primary brain tumor. If my dad's diagnosis had happened in my 20s I really think I would have changed directions and went into medicine. But my two boys (4 and 6) make it more of a sacrifice than I can really swing at this point in my life. Keep up the good work.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry Annie. Your posts about your dad helped me so much. I remember finding it incredible that your friend, who sounds so lovely, was diagnosed so soon after you lost him. It's hard to believe she is gone already - I hope you find comfort in the great memories you have of Starr.
    It feels like there is an epidemic, we know of so many and nearly all much younger than the "median" age described by WHO.
    Wishing you peace and comfort x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne Marie. It means alot to me that my posts about my dad were read and helpful. I miss him so much. xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Annie ~ My deepest condolences in the loss of your father and now your BFF, Starr. Your words describe exactly what I see in the photo of your dear friend. She looks and sounds like someone we could all use as a friend! Beautiful, kind, endearing and tons of fun! May your memories of the good times you shared always bring you peace and comfort. Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry. She was one of the best! So far I'm ok. I know (from my experience with my dad) that it will hit harder as time goes on but I do have so many fun memories too. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words. It does feel like a bad lottery. I tried to get Starr interested in taking everything I had for my dad but she wasn't as receptive. She wanted to do the bare minimum and I respected that. I have one other good friend Gayle who is fighting GBM but I met her after I began researching so I already knew she had brain cancer. She has had clear scans for 2 years! All she has done was 90% surgical recession (fortunate there) and gliadel wafers in the cavity. I wish more surgeons used them but in talking with the gliadel rep at a conference only a few do here in WA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Annie for sharing your story and your beautiful obituary tribute about Starr.

    Sending love, light and healing to your heart for your loss.

    With Deep Gratitude for ALL the Sharing and Warm Connection experienced on this blog site.

    Kelly


    ReplyDelete