Monday 27 February 2017

Stop chemotherapy?

Hi, firstable I would like to thank you all for your support. I’m again sharing a new question. My niece after two operation (she has a GBM no methilated) she was treated at the same time with radiotherapy and chemotherapy for  6 week, and right now she is taking the 3rd cyclo of six (temodar 5x23 about 210 daily). At the end of the sixth cyclo, the doctor had considered appropriate to stop the chemotherapy, and there is not a forecast about to continue with new chemo treatment. I would like to know your opinion about that. We are quite a bit worried, because the risk of recurrence, and we don’t know if it would be convenient to talk and insist to the doctor not to stop the chemo treatment.
I’m looking forward for your answer.

Sincerely, Jose Mª

6 comments:

  1. Jose,

    If your niece is ok with TMZ and no major side effects, I would continue on TMZ for another 6 months.

    I had this same question as I was nearing the end of my 1st 6 months and I decided to continue for another 6 months. Initially my NO discouraged continuation but I consulted with other NO's and they had no issue with it. I did have about a month gap between rounds 6 and 7 because of platele levels but they recovered and I continued my treatments.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  2. An important factor in this discussion is MGMT methylation status. If MGMT is methylated, 12 months of TMZ would be very reasonable. With unmethylated MGMT it's debatable whether the standard (5/23) schedule of TMZ is helpful.

    https://academic.oup.com/neuro-oncology/article/17/11/1425/1041691/Withholding-temozolomide-in-glioblastoma-patients

    The benefit of metronomic (daily) TMZ schedules don't seem to be as dependent on MGMT status as the standard schedule.

    Which country is she in Jose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you all for your quuck answer. She is from Spain, but she is living and treated in Dusseldorf (Germany).
      Her NO said that there is a recent study that is advisable not continue and stop chemo even if her levels are correct to continue.
      We'll read the link carefully.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. My husband had to stop chemo 5 month ago, but his is stable. He is taking varios supplaments to boost imune system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia,
      what kind of supplements does your housband take?
      Thank you again.

      Delete