Tuesday 21 March 2017

Auras

I know this is a cocktail group but since there are so many well informed people here I thought I would ask. Since my surgery in November 2010 I have been having auras on average every nine days. We've tried Keppra then Keppra with Vimpat then Depakote and now  Lamictal and  Lamictal extended release. I still have them every nine days. I've been tracking them for about five years and they are most common during exercise or strenuous activity. I have gone as long as 10 weeks but that was a one time occurrence and I don't know what was different during that time. That was several years ago. Does anyone else have auras and if so are they more common at certain times? I find it strange that I have them so common because people with full seizures don't seem to have them that frequently. This has really affected my quality of life. I hope to be a long time surviver and would love to get control of these. It is to the point where I am slipping into despair over it. Any help appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Danny,
    I wasn't familiar with the term aura, so I looked it up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(symptom)

    I sometimes also have scintillating scotoma or I see something like bright lights. But I think I had that long time before being diagnosed or before surgery. What kind of auras are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started experiencing Auras after finishing 12 months of TMZ. I had them fairly regularly in months 13-15, usually 1 each day at work, sometimes 2 to 3. I noticed that they tended to occur when I was either "deep in thought" or thinking about a number of issues at once. I am not in month 16 and have noticed a decline in Auras. I think I have only had 2 in the last 4 weeks. I am sure it sounds odd, but the feeling for me is "good" and feels as though it is rising from upper chest into my brain. There is not any pain. It has happened a few times while I am in conversation and my train of thought is interrupted, potentially because I am wondering what the person I am talking to sees.

    Per Duke, it is not uncommon and not necessarily an indicator of any negative. Was told that if it continues or is negatively impacting me, that an increase in Keppra would be tried.

    ReplyDelete