Saturday 12 September 2015

Fluoxetine, another MGMT inhibitor?

Important new study here which I will summarize on Astrocytoma Options when I have the chance.  Looks like we might be able to add fluoxetine (Prozac) to the list of agents (along with Keppra and disulfiram) that potentially inhibit MGMT activity in brain tumors and sensitize those tumors with unmethylated/active MGMT to TMZ/CCNU/BCNU.  The main limitations of this study are that the tumor cells were injected into the mouse flank (not into the brain), the drug was injected intraperitoneally (not given orally), and the mice were nude (immunodeficient) mice, so potential effects of fluoxetine on the immune response were not taken into account.

3 comments:

  1. I just posted my summary of this study on the Temozolomide page of Astrocytoma Options:

    http://astrocytomaoptions.com/temozolomide-temodar/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking about prozac too, but it states in CUSP9 that sertraline inhibits mTOR and my brother was suggested mTOR inhibitor so I am not sure if Prozac inhibits mTOR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure either.

    One of the CUSP9 authors told me that there is no reason not to use both fluoxetine and sertraline, that this is done in psychiatric practice, but would require frequent (weekly) monitoring for early detection of serotonin syndrome.

    ReplyDelete