Thursday 8 December 2016

Going off Avastin, considering Optune


Sorry for the delay in replying about the Avastin causing more tumors.  For some reason, I can't get that posting to accept this reply to SteveMPFP so I'll start a new thread.   First, an update...

I've decided to go off of chemo until Jan 7. The Avastin was making me have chemo brain and neuropathy and I decided I simply don't want to live that way. Plus, this recent information out about Avastin promoting the formation of new, "satellite" tumors really hit home. While I was pleased that the Avastin took care of my swelling, I did, indeed, get a new tumor while on it. I told my new NO that we have never really given the supplements, especially the CO (cannabis oils), a fair chance because I've always been on a chemo at the same time. Avastin, for example, somewhat shuts down the blood brain barrier as these publications attest. He agreed I could give the supplements and CO a fair shot. It's a bit scary.

He wants me to consider Optune, the non-chemical therapy that sends electrical fields into the brain. For those who are new to this, these fields interrupt cell division by forcing the cells' microtubule subunits to align to the electrical grid and since it's only tumor cells that are dividing, the normal brain cells are unaffected, so the theory goes. I have already started the process of getting approved.

But a thought occurs...would Optune not also interfere with supplements? If they cross the blood brain barrier in any sort of a polar form, with any sort of an ionic bent or even an R-group that is even slightly positive or negative, wouldn't the molecules' conformation be affected by an electrical field just like the cells' microtubules are? Your thoughts?

7 comments:

  1. Optune gives a continuous oscillating electromagnetic field with a given frequency, aimed to disturb cell division machinery. As far as I can understand the biology, it will not disturb the action of the supplements which to my insight mostly act on more general tumor-host interactions or on more particular receptors. But of course proper experimental set-ups are not done to study these mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with SVG. Optune works on specific frequency. This specific frequency is I guess connected to specific glioma cell's size. So, Optune, I think, will not disturb supplements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree with SVG and Hana. The optune delivers a high-frequency electrical field in the kilohertz range. I can't envision how such an oscillating field would interfere with cellular absorption of anything.

    I think if it interfered with cellular absorption in the brain, there'd be severe side effects to normal cells. I'm not aware of any such reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TTF (Optune) uses low intensity alternating 100-300 hertz is the (medium) frequency. Cancer cells entering Mitosis (replication process) that are hit continuously with (TTF) at this frequency have shown in study to be likely to enter into Apoptosis (suicide). I strongly (hypothesize) believe that increased usage of Optune by patients with GBM correlates to longer survival. I think 18 hours a day is not enough. I think 23+ hours of use per day is more likely to be a productive tool against brain cancer regrowth.

      http://www.nature.com/articles/srep18046/figures/7

      Delete
    2. There is data to back up your hypothesis, retrospective analysis of prospective trial data showing response rate correlates with "compliance", or average number of hours per day wearing Optune. The groups of patients with higher compliance (over 18 hours per day) had better response rates. This was data from the phase 3 trial for recurrent GBM. The average compliance for all the responders in that trial was 92% (or 22 hours per day).

      http://www.seminoncol.org/article/S0093-7754(14)00202-4/pdf

      Delete
    3. Thank you for providing this article Stephen - helpful as always. While perhaps the participant numbers are moderately low, table two is pretty clear that the degree of usage of the Optune device matters. I was able to use the Optune Generation One from February to July 2016 at 96-98%. Since I received Generation Two in July 2016, I have been able to maintain a usage rate of 99% (smaller & lighter device, batteries last much longer, can be plugged in and unplugged without turning device off). I believe/am hopeful that high usage of Optune will lead to continuing non-recurrence.

      Delete
  4. Please also keep in mind, that Optune has been proven effective against human glioma. While some supplements appear to have some effectiveness with mice in the lab, I am not aware of any with established results on human glioma yet. Btw, my husband has had excellent results using Optune, while also taking turkey tail mushrooms, vitamin D and CO. We are sold on it.

    ReplyDelete