Friday 2 March 2018

Keto recipes

Hi all,

A few months ago some questions were asked about sugar free and keto recipes. I thought I’d maybe share a few that I’m into right now.

(As a side note I’ve found out the hard way that it is very easy for me to go deep and quickly into ketosis. The doctor I’m working with warned that using stevia or anything sweet may throw you out of ketosis. I don’t have that problem but be careful to see if you do. Instead I must track everything’s my very carefully because I’m susceptible to ketoacidosis. Most of the literature brushed this off since I’m not diabetic. So I’d like to warn that it’s not impossible! I am nursing, and so that likely played a part.)


Tom Kha Soup - is a coconut milk based soup with lime and lemon grass. Here is a good recipe but you can experiment with it some. https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/authentic-tom-kha-gai-recipe I used bamboo shoots which are low in carbs, chicken and mushrooms.

Milk chocolate - in a double burner (a bowl inside a pan of water) I warmed about 6 tbsp of heavy cream, a few drops of stevia and about a tbsp of erythritol (not sure how you spell it), and alcohol free vanilla extract 1 tsp. Then added in small batches about 28 grams of grated baking chocolate (non-sweetened) and melted it slowly. Do not let the water get into the chocolate mix. Poured it on wax paper and refrigerated it.

The heavy cream makes it a pretty fatty snack. But don’t over do it.

Gummy - I had raspberry zinger tea by celestial Seasonings (Tazo’s passion tea or orange tea would be good too. Celestial Seasonings has a lot of “zinger” flavors. Lemon is good.Just check to see if they contain anything that shouldn’t be in the diet). I brewed about 1-1.25 cups. Then added 2 tsp now of agar agar to the tea in a saucepan and simmered until the agar was dissolved. Then I poured it into a glass dish and refrigerated until it was set as a jelly. You could add a little stevia or erythritol if you’d like.

I think this made about 8 large sized pieces and I added it to a keto app that had them at less that 1 gram of carbs.

Next!! I sliced up the chocolate and gummy jellies and made little jelly chocolates sandwiches out of them! My kids tried to eat them all!

These things really helped me the other day when I was feeling really down about my very bland diet and a bit sick of avocados! Hope they are helpful to some of you. I’m happy to answer questions if I haven’t been clear.

Maria


4 comments:

  1. We additionally accept this:
    https://www.iherb.com/pr/Zenwise-Health-Keto-Lift-BHB-Beta-Hydroxybutyrate-Raspberry-Lemonade-8-18-oz-232-g/76866

    As the manufacturer promises:
    "Ketosis without Carb Restrictions"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a Ketosis supplement without also doing a serious keto diet is possibly a bad idea. There is wide variability in the ability of brain cancers in their ability to utilize ketone bodies and so the simple premise is to starve the tumor of glucose. If you just add supplemental ketone bodies you are providing BOTH ketones and glucose to the tumor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting opinion:

    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/03/12/metabolically-supported-therapies-cancer-treatment.aspx

    "Nutritional ketosis is a powerful intervention, as Slocum's team has shown. But if you do it continuously, it can actually be highly counterproductive. You need to have days where you eat more net carbs and more protein, especially with strength training, to prevent sarcopenia that is common in cancer.

    This is because when cancer cells are deprived of glucose they have the ability to break down muscle tissue to extract glutamine. Interestingly, Seyfried is working with a glutamine inhibitor called DON to prevent this from happening, thereby making the therapy even more effective."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "DON was tested as chemotherapeutic agent in different clinical studies, but was never approved. The last clinical results were published in 2008, though not as DON monotherapy but in combination with a recombinant glutaminase.[4]"

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6-Diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine

      Delete