Friday 1 March 2019

Experimental surgery




I need some information for possible surgery of my father … I am quite sure that partial surgery alone cannot help him so much. So I would only insist on surgery if I can find some alternative way of doing that (I mean those which can be done mostly by a crazy, brave surgeon in Iran and does not include some dreamy technology, etc.). I need to be prepare and I would only use it as the last shot.

 For the start, I’ve heard about two patients of DR. John Boockvar who survive for a long time. If I understand correctly, this includes micro cut of BBB, using mannitol to keep them open and then Avastin has been sprayed directly and the result was wonderful. I wonder why it has not become the standard? Or is it now more common there and I am just not aware?
Any other successful experiments that give me the courage to go for finding such surgeon are highly appreciated. And sorry if it is not directly related to cocktail, I promise not to continue this thread for too long.

2 comments:

  1. My son is under the care of Dr. John Boockvar since 2015. That yr. he was in clinical trial using mannitol and temodar intra arterially. A recurrence appeared in 2018 which Dr. Boockvar proformed an awake surgery. Another intra arterial clinical trial followed using mannitol and certuxmab. That ended in August 2018. It was good until Jan of this yr. when a 3rd recurrence appeared but surgery can not be proformed due to the area of the tumor. He is now on Avastin infusions,along with cannabis and his cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about your country but in Europe, fluorescence-guided resection is used (with Gliolan, also known as 5-ALA) is used to help get a more complete resection.

    There is an article on the technique you mentioned here:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20964595

    It's certainly not the standard in any country. It's still in phase 1/2 trials.
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01269853
    Things don't generally become fully integrated in standard of care until they've shown efficacy in large phase 3 trials.

    ReplyDelete