Wednesday 8 June 2016

Potassium bad for glioblastoma

Hi all
I was on the web searching and researching as always the other night and I came across something that was new to me anyway. There was a blog inspire.com I think it was on and there was a Gbm patient there her and her husband where both scenitescs, and they came to the conclusion that they was going to cut out all potassium in order to inhibit prolife and migration.
I think that was in 2011 and she is now cancer free.
Since reading this I have reasearched it some more and apparently it's correct that potassium channels do indeed play a role in prolife and migration of Gbm
So I question is
She did it by completely not eating anything that contained potassium.
I no there are drugs for potassium channel blockers would these be as effective.
And Stephen I would love to hear your views on the matter
Hope all u guys are well

2 comments:

  1. This topic came up back on the old Cancer Compass cocktail thread.

    https://cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,74411,163.htm

    (scroll down about halfway)

    While it's true that potassium channels are involved in GBM biology, there is no feasible way to eliminate potassium from the diet as it's an essential nutrient. I've not seen any evidence that eating a low potassium diet slows down tumor growth.

    I consider it more likely that blockers of specific potassium channels would turn out to be a potential way of slowing tumor growth or invasion.

    http://btcocktails.blogspot.ca/2015/09/potassium-channel-blockers.html#comment-form

    Some chemotherapies can cause hypokalemia (low potassium levels). In any case too little potassium in the body can be a big problem.




    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dayle,
    I know 2 GBM patients whose level of potassium dropped so much they were in state similar to a seizure (it was not a typical seizure though), therefore I suppose it might be dangerous to eliminate it radically.

    ReplyDelete