Thursday 28 July 2016

Hi... So my dad just had his first recurrence after being on Avastin for about 4 months. The tumor is spreading quickly and he seems to be rapidly declining. His oncologist said there's nothing more they can do. I say F* that. He's a big guy, so my mom needs help. He's 64, which makes him ineligible for Medicare (we're in the U.S.), so the doctors are recommending in-home hospice care. (My mom doesn't want to send him to a nursing home.) My brother and I think that we should try Temodar again or Optune, but with in-home hospice care, my dad is not eligible for treatment. Does anyone know any way around this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

3 comments:

  1. Holly - I'm in the US, my dad just died at 64. Can you call me? 206-227-8993. Thanks. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should clarify, I'm not looking to cry together :-) I have suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, where is your dad being treated? Assuming a brain tumor center, you might ask his neuro-oncologist to take his case to the tumor board to see if anyone has other ideas. These meetings are often held weekly.

    ReplyDelete