Monday 15 July 2019

Newly Diagnosed GBM

Hi all,

My name is Silvia, I am new to this community and a week ago knew nothing about GBM. I'm incredibly grateful for the wealth of information here and would like to thank everyone in advance for your support.

My 64 father was diagnosed with glioblastoma last week. He had a subtotal resection on July 3rd which was successful in removing ~95% of the solid part of his tumor. He is recovering well and was discharged from hospital on July 11th.

He is based in Melbourne Australia and is being treated by the team at Royal Melbourne Hospital, who are recommending the radiation/TMZ protocol. I am still waiting for them to send me his medical data but our current plan is the following
  1. Press-Pulse protocol as a neoadjuvant treatment while he is recovering from surgery with the hope that if there is improvement in his MRI we can delay chemo/radiation
  1. Repurposed Drug/ Supplement cocktail 
    • Will post details of this to get feedback once I have his detailed diagnosis and a consultation with the Care Oncology Clinic
  2. Proceed with radiation/ chemo if no improvement in MRI prior to planned start date

I have a few questions for now: 
  1. Has anyone in this community tried the press-pulse protocol and if so how (what parts, neoadjuvant/ concurrent/ adjuvant with SOC etc.?) and with what result? Does anyone know of any practitioners located in Australia that might be able to help in implementing the protocol?
  1. Has anyone had any experience with the Burzynski clinic / Antineoplastons? (https://www.burzynskiclinic.com/)
·         For context: My mum and dad are very against radiation and chemo, and unfortunately subscribe to big pharma conspiracy theories. They are searching for information on youtube which means that on top of the research I am doing myself, I must also spend a lot of time researching and more often than not debunking the “cures” they come across
·         The quick research I've done on this seems to suggest it's controversial and unproven

  1. Does anyone know if there is any harm with Laetrile (Vitamin B17 /Amygdalin)? I know there is no evidence to support its efficacy but my mum is convinced it will help and I wonder if its worth fighting her on it if it doesn't do any harm (she's currently giving him apricot kernels ~ 40-50 / day)
  2. Similarly with Phour Salts? 


Thank you all in advance for any information you might be able to share!

Silvia

3 comments:

  1. I would be very wary of insulin potentiation therapy. Not only unproven but potentially dangerous.

    Burzynski obviously has his supporters, and may actually have success with his antineoplastons on occasion. They are related to phenylbutyrate, which has also worked as a cancer therapy on occasion.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12241121

    But I would also read this article for a more critical view of Burzynski.
    https://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/12/12/what-dr-stanislaw-burzynski-doesnt-want
    The author of this article is known for being a skeptic, but he is also a professional cancer surgeon with a solid grasp of science.

    I haven't seen any human evidence in support of laetrile, as far as I know the original research was preclinical. If someone feels strongly about a therapy, it could actually help, even if only as a placebo (so long as it isn't harmful of course). I can't claim to be informed about laetrile as I have never made it a focus of research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this information Stephen, I will review and share with my mum but I am discouraging them from Burzynski and encouraging them to do repurposed drug and supplements cocktail, a strict keto diet together with the standard of care radiation/ chemo protocol the doctors are recommending.

    I finally have medical records for my dad so will post it together with proposed drugs and supplements in a seperate post.

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should keep your father well informed and aware of what's going on with his body. Do I Have Cancer would be a good lecture for him. From my experience it's really helpful if person with a cancer in remission knows what he or she had and how to deal with this in the future.

    ReplyDelete