Wednesday 4 November 2015

Bernie's MRI Shows a New Spot

Hey all,

Bernie is almost exactly a year out from the original diagnosis and surgery for GBM 4, and her most recent MRI is now showing a small area of enhancement in the white matter just beside her original tumor bed.  When compared to the MRI done 4 months ago, there was a very very light, very small spot in that same location, and over the 4 months, it has grown into the spot she has now.  I would estimate that it is probably 3-4 mm in diameter.

Our NO has said that there is a good chance that this is radiation necrosis, as it's within the original field and because it is not well delineated/circumscribed like typical GBM occurrences.  Either way, we now have another MRI in 5 weeks instead of 8 so that we can keep a close eye on it.

I would say the silver lining is that this spot is in a pretty favorable location, as it's closer to the surface of the brain.  Still an unwanted development.  I'm not terribly familiar with necrosis, so I will keep you all posted as to how this all unfolds.

Best wishes,

Kendall

4 comments:

  1. Kendall, I had a similar sized spot appear in my 1st MRI after radiation and TMZ treatments. My team of doctors believe it is either necrosis or more tumor but too small to concerned with. At the next MRI (one month later), it remained the same size so again, the team wants to continue to monitor. I am not having any other symptoms so I am ok with this observation approach mainly because the team tells me the size prohibits any trial participation what would be beneficial to me. I have pushed hard to stay on the monthly MRI's for right now.


    Good Luck,

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc,

      Thank you for taking the time to reply with your story. I'm very hopeful that hers will also remain the same size at the next MRI. That's annoying that you have to push for such a schedule. Our NO was adamant about us coming in sooner so that he could watch it very closely.

      Good luck to you as well,

      Kendall

      Delete
    2. Kendall;

      Hello! I've actually been reading your posts at CC as I started on page 1 and read to the end. I was always interested in hearing how your story unfolded, especially as my wife is only about 90lbs now as well and our cocktail is very similar to yours.

      I hope you'll update again and let us know how you two are doing as I feel I've been following you since the very beginning.

      Delete
  2. I hope this doesn't show any bad things in the future. We will stay positive and I will pray for your health and well being. My husband knows the kind of feeling you have as he went through a similar scenario in the past. It took him months to finally find out that the spot was just a calcification. Thanks.

    Kacey @ Glendale MRI

    ReplyDelete