Sunday 29 May 2016

Dad's Cocktail - maintenance edits. Depakote, Metformin - continue daily?

All -


Dad seems to be about the same, maybe slightly more agitated, since my last post regarding growth.  I'm trying to score some Nivolumab.  If successful I will let you all know.  For now we are sticking with Avastin every 2 weeks + added in Temodar on the 5x day on cycle, as we never did that protocol just the initial dose during radiation last Sept/October.


Now that we're 6+ months post radiation, should I drop the Depakote?  We are new to Temodar 'maintenance mode'.  If I recall my notes, here's my thought on specific meds around Temodar:


7 days Pre-Temodar:
Depakote
Verapamil


During Temodar:
Depakote
Verapamil
Metformin
Disulfiram
Copper
Sildenafil


Constant:
Dex
Keppra
Plaquenil (it's all we have - I know phosphate is preferred)
Celebrex
Prozac
DCA
THC/CBD


If I go this route, we would be reducing the daily Depakote and Metformin - as Dad has taken both constantly since we started late August.  Any need to taper either of these?  Did anyone experience issues when dropping Depakote?


This is only the RX stuff.  I can post my whole cocktail if useful - just condensing for now. 


Thanks all.
Annie

2 comments:

  1. Given the unknown MGMT status, I would assume that it's unmethylated and that some potential MGMT inhibitors could be helpful in sensitizing the tumor to TMZ.

    Mouse evidence points to: Keppra, Prozac (fluoxetine), and disulfiram, and perhaps also to valproic acid, if we are to believe this study:

    http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2012/987495/

    Unfortunately there's no human evidence for any of these as MGMT inhibitors.

    Is he still taking Keppra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen! Yes, still taking Keppra. Onc upped his dose to 1000mg twice daily as Dad was experiencing very small seizures a few months back.

      Dad is doing poorly right now. I believe a big part of his overall demeanor and posture is getting the bad news a week or so ago of the growth. I'm hopeful that we will procure nivolumab and lift his spirits a bit.

      Delete