Monday 16 May 2016

Radiation 60% of Brain

My husband was diagnosed May 1, 2015, with GBM, right frontal-lobe and had 60% of his head radiated under the usual protocol of 30 days + chemo. One year out, and though his tumor(s) are stable, his deficits seem to be more pronounced. I was wondering if there is anyone here with similar, right frontal lobe, lots of brain mass radiated, who could tell me what to except one year out with this level of radiation. I know radiation impacts good brain cells, but is it permanent, and is there anything that could be done to rebuild. So far cognitive therapy hasn't worked much.

2 comments:

  1. My NO at UCLA told me it takes 10 years to recover from radiation. More specifically he said he wouldn’t apply radiation again until 10 years had passed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry, I didn't know that one could recover from radiation. I thought that radiation kills good brain cells along with cancer. Who is your neuro-onc? And surviving 10 years would be a gift!

      Delete